Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence

Form I-751 Attorneys in Salt Lake City

Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence

If you have been married for fewer than two years and were issued a conditional green card, it’s important to protect your life in the U.S. by removing the residency conditions on your green card. This is done by filing a Form I-1751 with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), and an experienced immigration attorney can help you with this matter.

We at Monument Immigration understand that few areas of law are as complex and dynamic as immigration is. That’s why we strive to provide the sophisticated legal counsel our clients need to navigate the federal bureaucracy that governs immigration matters. Rest assured that by working with one of our Form I-751 attorneys in Salt Lake City, you can work step-by-step toward obtaining lawful permanent resident status.

For more information about our legal services, call Monument Immigration at (801) 609-3659.

What Is Form I-751 For?

Form I-751 turns a newly married foreigner into a lawful permanent resident after spending two years as a conditional permanent resident.

Immigration authorities are wary of marriage immigration fraud and have devised a means to disincentivize it through the green card process. Generally speaking, the notion is to discourage marriage immigration fraud by holding off on giving lawful permanent resident status until someone has been married and living in the U.S. for a few years.

USCIS does this by issuing those who were married for fewer than two years a “conditional” green card that remains valid for only two years. Before these two years lapse, a Form I-751 must be filed with USCIS to remove the conditions on residence and receive lawful permanent resident status.

What Is a “Conditional Permanent Resident”?

Conditional permanent residents hold green cards that remain valid for only two years. These conditional green cards can’t be renewed. Instead, Form I-751 must be filed to remove the conditions on residency, which will provide a new green card that’s renewable every 10 years.

Aside from this, conditional permanent residents enjoy the same rights and responsibilities as other permanent residents who hold 10-year green cards.

When Do I Need to File Form I-751?

If you are filing jointly with your spouse, Form I-751 must be submitted to USCIS during the 90-day period immediately before your conditional green card expires.

If you are filing individually or seek to waive the joint filing requirement, you can do so any time after your conditional green card was issued, but before you are removed from the U.S.

Remember, you can file on your own if you enter your marriage in good faith, but:

  • Your spouse died, or
  • Your marriage ended because of divorce or annulment, or
  • You are a victim of domestic abuse or subject to extreme cruelty by your petitioning spouse, or
  • You are a victim of domestic abuse or subject to extreme cruelty by your parent’s U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident spouse or by your conditional resident parent, or
  • Terminating your residency status and removing you from the U.S. would expose you to extreme hardship

In any case, allowing your conditional green card to expire without taking action revokes your conditional residency in the U.S. and makes you removable from the U.S. If your failure to file Form I-751 was through to no fault of your own, you can submit a late petition with an explanation.

That said, it can be much easier to follow the guidance of a Form I-751 attorney from Salt Lake City, like ours at Monument Immigration. For removal of condidtion, we charge a no-hassle flat fee of just $3,000. We believe in highly competitive rates for everyone trying to achieve the American Dream, and that also means providing fair, interest-free payment plans for our services.

Contact Us for Legal Assistance Today

If you need legal assistance to remove the conditions on your residency in the U.S., look no further than Monument Immigration for guidance.

Contact our attorney today by submitting an online form now!

Words From Our Clients

  • Hector

    I can't believe how easy Monument Immigration made it for me to become a permanent resident.

  • Susana

    I am so happy I chose Monument Immigration to help me become a permanent resident.

  • Omar

    They did everything for me to become a US Citizen and walked me through the entire way.

  • Mefour

    Highly ethical lawyer but also extraordinarily caring & concerned for his clients.

  • Erik

    Instrumental in handling my case in a professional & speedy manner.

  • Leo

    Amazing follow up, friendly service!

  • Dallin

    Mark is completely dependable. Thanks again for everything!

  • Dennis

    Mark helped me to get a green card after my problems with USCIS.

  • Kacey

    Mark was extremely organized and efficient throughout the entire process.

  • Susana

    Mr. Mark Naugle was great throughout my application process.

  • Cezar

    He consistently exceeds my expectations and always delivers.

  • Leobardo

    He is super friendly and treated my case with urgency and was very courteous.

  • Tina

    Mark provided a very valuable legal service efficiently, quickly and without hassle and heartache.

  • Wende

    He was sensitive to the personal nature and treated me with consideration and professionalism.

  • David

    Professional & fast!

  • Nick

    If you're looking for someone to help you during this stressful process look no further than Mark and his team.

  • Omar

    He will be always available for you and will take good care of you.

Ready to Discuss Your Case?

Get in Touch with Us Today
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.